Weissenstein Castle near Matrei is named after the bright dolomite rock on which it is located.
Image gallery: Weissenstein Castle
In the 12th century, Matrey Castle was built above the basin of Matrei, at the today’s Felbertauernstrasse road. This castle was in possession of the Counts of Lechsgemünde who owned several castles in East Tyrol. Among them Kienburg Castle and Lengberg Castle.
Two centuries later, the castle was named after the bright dolomite rock on which it is still located, the “white stone” (Weissenstein). Bit by bit the beautiful castle decayed and was partly used as a poorhouse. In the 19th century it was restored on the models of English castles of the historicism and the wonderful castle park was added.
Shortly afterwards it was rebuilt into a romantic château and became known as a plush hotel. Particularly worth mentioning is the Laurentius Chapel with its beautiful frescoes on the external wall, done by Simon von Taisten. Its valuable inventory was stolen in the 17th century. In 1921 the castle was sold and is in private hands today.
not accessible to the public