Brunico Castle is an episcopal castle in the heart of the Val di Pusteria and houses the MMM Ripa.
Brunico Castle lies on the top of the hill that dominates Brunico, the city on the Rienza river. In the middle of the 13th century , the bishop of Bressanone, Bruno von Kirchberg, commissioned the building of the castle in order to protect his lands in the Val Pusteria, laying the foundations for the town of Brunico.
The interiors of the castle host numerous emblems of the bishops who lived here: Albert von Enna (1323-1326), Ulrich Putsch (1427-1437), Andreas of Austria (1591-1600) or the bishops of Spaur and Welsperg. All of them contributed to the building of the castle, either by extending or restoring it. Unfortunately, many of the frescos in the rooms and halls of the castle are poorly preserved.
In July 2011 the fifth Messner Mountain Museum was opened at Brunico Castle: MMM Ripa. Its interactive collection mainly focuses on the everyday culture of mountain people like Sherpas, Indios, Tibetans, Mongols and Hunzas.
phone: +39 0474 555722, email@example.com