Thurn Castle lies opposite of the more famous Monguelfo Castle in the surroundings of Monguelfo.
Image gallery: Thurn Castle
The floor plan of Thurn Castle - not be confounded with Ciastel de Tor in San Martino in Badia which is also called Thurn in German - resembles the one of Monguelfo Castle. It lies on a hill at the entrance of the Val Casies. The castle was built by the Lords of Welsperg in the 13th century and most probably emerged from an originally small keep and a hall.
In 1288 Thurn Castle entered into the possession of the Lords of Füllein and in the 14th century it got its today’s name. The ruin occupies a whole hilltop and is 74 metres long. In the 17th century Thurn Castle started to decline and on May 15, 1765, a fire destroyed the bigger part of it. Today, the ruin with its 22 metres high keep is in the possession of Count Georg Thun-Hohenstein-Welsperg.