Bruck Castle near Lienz in East Tyrol houses the Regional Museum Lienz.
In the 13th century, the Counts of Gorizia built a castle complex near Lienz, equipped with a machicoulis and round path. From the donjon the counts had a great view on the entire basin of Lienz and the lower Iseltal valley. The name “Bruck” (bridge) derives from the bridge at the foot of the castle.
Of particular note is the Chapel of the Most Holy Trinity. The two-storey Romanesque building is decorated with beautiful Gothic fresco cycles by Simon von Taisten and Andrä Peuerweg. In the course of time Bruck Castle has often changed hands and had different roles to play, as e.g. weapons stockpile, military hospital, barracks as well as brewery. Finally, in 1942, the city of Lienz acquired the castle, which it still owns today.
The township opened the Regional Museum Lienz in the castle. Today it is popular for cultural events in the castle courtyard and for its impressive gallery of the East Tyrolean expressionist Albin Egger-Lienz (1868-1926). The castle and its park are known to host about 15 different species of bats. A theme trail is devoted to theses interesting nocturnal animals. Bruck castle is accessible within a 5 minutes walk from the parking space at the foot of the hill.
Regional Museum Lienz
tel. +43 4852 62580, firstname.lastname@example.org