The beginnings of the castle near Nikolsdorf in East Tyrol go back until 1190
Image gallery: Lengberg Castle
In the 12th century, the Counts of Lechsgemünde owned several castles in East Tyrol, among them Kienburg Castle and also Lengberg Castle. Probably the latter was the administrative centre of the counts. The Romance building consisted of a two-storey Palas and a curtain wall, but the castle keep was missing.
In the 15th century, Lengberg Castle was rebuilt, still today it appears in this late Gothic character. In those days also the castle chapel dedicated to the Saints Sebastian and Nicholas was added. Since the 19th century, it has been used for various purposes, among others as summer resort for the Dutch queen Wilhelmina. But the castle decayed visibly.
In 1956 the State of Tyrol acquired the building. By the help of numerous volunteers, Lengberg Castle was renovated and the AufBauWerk Association has been authorized to use the building until today. Therefore the castle can only be visited from outside. By the way: in course of the general renovation in 2008, valuable findings were made. Among them not only flutes and coins, but also even a bra from the 15th century, a real sensation!
not accessible to the public, contact details for questions about the archeological findings