The particular castle complex of Monguelfo Castle especially impresses due to its high castle tower.
Monguelfo Castle, or Welsperg Castle, represents a central medieval fortification protected by additional surrounding barriers. The castle is documented first in 1167, it is a very special complex and can be seen from afar due to its high and slim castle tower which was built between 1126 and 1140. The primary functions of the tower were the possibility for observation as well as a bastion against offenders.
At the same time the whole main castle including the great hall (Palas), farm buildings and a Romanic chapel was built. In the 16th century the complex was reconstructed and extended. A severe year of destiny followed in 1765, when the majority of the castle was destroyed by a fire. The Palas and the farm buildings were destroyed beyond repair, so the Palas was completely removed and the roof truss was debased - like this the castle appears also today.
The brothers Schwikher and Otto Von Welsperg established the castle on a cliff above the village in 1140. For about 800 years the complex was owned by the family. The Von Welsperg Family was one of the most famous aristocratic families of Tyrol, through marriage and commercial policy they enlarged their property continuously.
By the way: a visit to the castle can be excellently combined with a walk on the Castle Path or the "Schlossrunde" path. And in summer in the castle area concerts and other events take place.
€ 3.00 adults
€ 2.00 children (6-12 years), seniors 65+
free for children under 6 years