An overview of the most important traffic regulations for driving in Italy
We recommend you to strictly stick to the regulations when driving in Italy, as in the event of an infringement, there are harsh penalties. In 2013 the penalty charges have again been hiked up and are even higher at night, from 10 pm to 7 am.
- in town: 50 km/h
- on country roads: 90 km/h
- on freeways: 110 km/h
- on motorways: 130 km/h (exception Brennero motorway)
- on the section Brennero - Bolzano Sud the speed limit is still 110 km/h
- 0,5 ‰
- from 1.5 ‰, the vehicle can be confiscated
Colours of the parking spaces:
- white: parking for free (parking meter) - except in Bolzano
- blue: parking subject to fees
- yellow: Parking only for authorized people
Mobile phone and other mobile devices
The use of mobile phones and other mobile devices is prohibited while driving, but also, for example, when stopping at a red light.
E-cars and e-scooters
- At charging stations, an electric car may only be parked as long as it is charging.
- E-scooters may travel at a maximum speed of 20 km/h and 6 km/h in pedestrian zones. E-scooters are not allowed to drive or park on pavements.
The reflective vest has been obligatory for Italy since 2004, so be sure to bring it along with you so that you have it ready for an emergency.
The dim light is obligatory for all vehicles at day and night, except in town driving.
Since November 2019, a wildlife accident must also be reported to the responsible authorities (e.g. Forestry Station Brunico, phone: +39 0474 582230) if the wild animal was only hit in order to be able to initiate a control search. Previously, this was only the case if the wild animal died as a result of the accident.
- It is obligatory to let pedestrians walk on the cross-walk
- Also pedestrians, if conspicuously drunken, can be stopped and corrected by the police.
General useful information:
Smoking in public buildings and rooms has been banned on July 1, 2005. The penalties amount up to 2,000 Euros. Exceptions are few taverns that offer separate smoking rooms, and need to meet different criteria.
Those who buy faked brand-name products expect severe fines.
Smoking of hemp and driving under influence leads to the driver's license revocation. It is complained to the police.
Link to check the current traffic situation online.