The well-known Liebburg Castle is located in the middle of the main square of Lienz and is the town hall today.
In the 17th century, the brothers Sigmund and Christoph von Wolkenstein-Rodenegg had their residence at Bruck Castle near Lienz, which houses the Regional Museum Lienz today. Due to the there prevailing cold and unfavourable living conditions, they built a residential castle in the valley basin which today is enthroned right in the middle of the main square of Lienz.
Three dates are important in the history of this building: in 1609, Liebburg Castle burnt down and was rebuilt. Back then the today characteristic onion-domed towers were added. In 1653 the entire Reign Lienz together with the castles was given back to the Counts of Tyrol. And finally 1723, when again a fire raged at the castle and the people promised to hold a procession dedicated to Saint Florian every year.
Today the castle is in the possession of the township of Lienz and is the town hall of the main town of East Tyrol. Moreover, in Advent, the Christmas Market of Lienz takes place at the gates of the castle. Then the castle turns into a gigantic Advent calendar, each window is numbered, lighted and opened in the evenings.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.