The Grain Store in Cadipietra in the Valle Aurina tells the history of mining in Predoi and South Tyrol.
Image gallery: South Tyrol Mining Museum in a Grain Store
The history of Predoi is closely connected to the mining of copper since at the beginning of the 15th century copper was found here for the first time. The mining work was very dangerous and unhealthy, which made the miners very religious. In fact, still today, miners have more patron saints than any other profession and donate a lot money to churches and chapels.
In the middle of the 15th century Cadipietra became the administrative seat of the Predoi mine. Grane, raw materials and working equipment necessary for mining were stored in a warehouse, the so-called Grain Store, built in 1700. Very often the miners earned grane instead of money. In 1893 the mine in Predoi was closed. In 2000 the South Tyrolean Mining Museum was opened in the building.
The exhibits are in large part on loan from the South Tyrolean Counts of Enzenberg. The museum is located near the parish church of Cadipietra.
The Mining Museum in the Grain Store will reopen on April 14, 2022, for the summer season.