In East Tyrol a new museum with large open-air grounds and viewing tower is dedicated to a former Roman town.
Already in 1912 archaeological excavations were done in Dölsach near Lienz, back then by the University of Vienna and the Austrian Archaeological Institute. Today, the Institute for Archaeology of the University of Innsbruck is responsible for the works. In the course of these works, a Roman town was discovered which probably boomed in the 1st and 2nd century BC and was destroyed in the 7th century BC by Slavic peoples and Baiovarii. This “Municipium Claudium Aguntum” was located in the Noricum Province.
Besides the atrium and a thermal bath also the town wall and further elements were uncovered, which today are accessible in the Aguntum Archaeological Park resp. can be admired in the new Museum AGUNTUM Stadt. An 18 m high observation tower offers an impressive view on this Roman settlement.
The affiliated Museum AGUNTUM Stadt (Museum AGUNTUM City) offers an insight into the life and daily routine of the Roman town Aguntum. Findings tell about life two thousands of years ago, moreover the big marble basin of the atrium was brought here. By the way: a special stamp and a 20 euro note have been dedicated to the famous Roman town.
Opening hours: from May 25 to October 31, 2020
May 25 - September 13, 2020:
daily from 9.30 am to 4 pm
September 14 - October 31, 2020:
from Monday to Saturday from 9.30 am to 4 pm
phone: +43 4852 61550, email@example.com