In the oldest Tyrolean monastery, the San Candido Monastery, an impressive collection can be admired
Image gallery: Monastery Museum San Candido
The origins of the Romanesque monastery of San Candido date back to the 8th century BC, it is the oldest monastery of Tyrol and the most important Romanesque sacral building. Next to this former Benedictine abbey, the chapter house from the 16th century is located, which is also part of the monastery complex. Today it houses the Monastery Museum of San Candido.
Sacred art, the valuable cathedral treasure, books from the 15th - 18th century and an extensive collection of manuscripts are shown in the seven exhibition rooms. The chapter house itself has remained unchanged, near the windows the paintings of the painters of the Bressanone School are still visible. They date back to 1550. Besides the Monastery Museum, also the archive and the library of the San Candido Monastery are located in the chapter house.
Also special exhibitions, like “Cribs made of paper” at Christmas time take place in the San Candido Monastery Museum. However, in the Franciscan monastery of San Candido, located in the Peter-Paul-Rainer road, numerous archaeological findings from Roman times and a folkloric collection are shown.
In winter, the San Candido Collegiate Museum is open only for groups of 15 and more persons (on request by calling +39 0474 913149). Season start 2024 in early July.