The main village of the municipality of Rodengo is located at 880 m asl. and has about 500 inhabitants. Here the gorgeous Rodengo Castle is situated.
Rodengo Castle, founded by Friedrich von Rodank in the 12th century, is the conspicuous eye catcher of the village, at the entrance to the Val Pusteria valley. A mighty castle on the cliff above the Rienz Gorge. 1972 the Iwein-fresco cycle was revealed, which is considered to be the oldest profane mural painting in the German-speaking world. From May until October the castle can be visited within a guided tour.
Not far from the castle the Church of the Assumption of Mary is located on a hill. It also dates back to the 12th century, the present construction was built around 1500. For centuries it was the parish church of a large area which reached until the region of Terento.
Villa is a quiet village without any disturbance of transit traffic. Nevertheless all villages of the municipality, the town of Bressanone and other villages in the Val Pusteria valley can easily be reached by car or public transport. Nothing left to be desired!