Discovering the beautiful winter landscape on snow shoe trails is a very special nature experience.
Image gallery: Snowshoeing
Have you ever tried snowshoe hiking? Tramping through the amazing snow landscape of white meadows and trees, enjoying the warm sun rays on the face and breathtaking views of the surrounding mountain panorama … If not, it is high time to make this unforgettable nature experience in the Val Pusteria!
There’s no excuse: everybody can try snowshoe hiking! All you need is a pair of snowshoes and some hiking sticks, which you can also rent. Snowshoe hiking is very healthy and relaxing, impressive and unforgettable at the same time … it does not leave anything to be desired. Always check the weather and snow conditions before you start. Moreover, you should have some experience with sports in the open country. If you are unsure, contact a mountain guide or alpine school.
What you need and should consider when planning a snowshoe hiking tour:
- Breathable clothes and some clothes to change: on a snowshoe hiking tour you are going to sweat a lot!
- Hiking or cross-country ski sticks (with snow baskets) or, even better, Nordic or snow walking sticks.
- Contact an experienced mountain guide for your first tour: he will show you how to move right in the snow.
- Plan your tour in advance, inform yourself on weather and snow conditions and don’t disturb any animals.
- Snowshoes: the heavier you are, the bigger the size of your snowshoes should be. Moreover, snowshoes should be of a light but solid material. The shoes you wear in the snowshoes should be water resistant and breathable.
An absolute must if you are hiking in open country in winter:
avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe!
Important: Try to avoid that the snow gets into your shoes!